Sunday 20 May 2018

Crash at Seven Pines

Today I went over to Matt's dungeon for another massive ACW battle. This time we were recreating the battle of Seven Pines in 1862. The day started ignominiously as my foot slipped of the brake onto the accelerator as i was parking and I drove into the back of Matt's car - Mortified but no real damage.
On to the battle - it was another massive one with 20 infantry regiments aside plus cannon and cavalry. we were using Matt's reinvention of Bolt Action rules and they worked really well. Infantry run off as a result of casualties and return when rallied - very much in line with the ACW. Activation was by the dice bag and we had more units than dice meaning that you had to be a proper general and manage your forces. They are great rules.
Right are you sitting comfortably, this was a 7 hour battle

The 11ft by 5 ft battle field. I'm union on the right and have to defend the 7 Pines cross roads. I only have 2 brigades with another at the top. I am outnumbered by Matt's rebel scum. We both have 3 brigades as reinforcements and Matt has to capture the cross roads.

The cross roads, i have taken up defensive position behind the snake fencing

Entering from the North my brigade. if i can find room I can bring on 3 more regiments - I never found room

Crossroads facing 2 brigades (1 1/2) of seasoned troops with a couple of veteran regiments against my regulars

My left flank, couple of regiments and cannon. The rebels have advanced through my camp and I'm to hold the line and prevent a disaster

I advance a small cavalry unit as the Rebels advance on the right

THIS IS GOING TO BE BAD. Matt has brought everybody

"Gentlemen. Prepare to defend yourselves" 

There are more

Neat Rebel lines advance

Te view down the line was awesome, we kept stopping and staring

Just in time my 1st brigade of reinforcements arrives

Matt has brought forward his cavalry to counter mine but the lack of dice makes them mainly observers

The rebels close in the centre

We face each other off  on the right

Matt's cavalry get off some potshots of enfilading fire - double pins to a unit - nice rule

My 2nd reserve brigade arrive

Fire from my centre has caused chaos amongst Matt's rebels and as a result only a single regiment meets my line and destroys my cannon

Matt's 2nd reserve brigade arrive on the right

In a reckless move I advance 2 regiments up the road to face the enemy in march column, can't fire and crap at fighting

In the centre Matt's regiment has routed but he has re-ordered his lines

On the left I have a severely battered regiment holding the line as the reserves come up in the nick of time

On the right I have routed a regiment through the reserves inflicting a pin on all of them. I use the opportunity to advance - seems like a good idea

I bring up my cannon and Matt is pretty much buggered on the right as I pour it on

In the centre Matt has mad the fence. This is going to to tight

Worse yet my left has started to crumble

The 2 units in march column have deployed in line a and pouring enfilading fire in 2 directions, it is very effective in the centre and Matt's attack stalls

 The final positions

The right - all me. I have 1 routing unit but Matt has little left. I still have 3 regiments to bring on


The centre. Matt is still at the fence but only has 2 units not routing

The left. Matt has won here but won't get to the crossroads.

Brilliant battle and a minor victory for the Union. The rules work very well indeed and could be the best I've played. Quick (I know 7 hours but it was a vast battle) and with the proper feel for the period.



No comments:

Post a Comment