Sunday 8 September 2019

Border Reiver 2019 and My 1st To the Strongest

Border Reiver show yesterday and I pottered down to meet friends and buy toys. It was smaller than usual with far fewer traders, Colours was on at Newbury. I had a good morning there but had to leave after a couple of hours to go axe throwing. Which as a great laugh and I won (twice). My best throw was a perfect bull using a trick shot. Could do it again if you gave me a million goes.
On to the shiny stuff

The main purchase was to collect a pre-order from Pendraken. Boat load of 7YW Austrians. I now have enough for the entire Austrian Army at the Battle of Lobositz. Will keep me busy over the winter

Bargain of the century. 2 Forged in Battle 88's with transports - £4 from one of the traders



18th Century carriage - I like carriages. Same trader £4. I also bought a Stug for £2 but it was 20mm. Will use to make a scratch build of something

Finally 2 couple of French packs to add to my new project of Early War French. 

Bought a load of bases - boring photo - and that is it. Didn't buy anything from the bring and buy and I don't like how recently they have become the place where small ebay dealers set up stall.

The other event was that I went down to Pete's to play my 1st game of To the Strongest. I had been wary of this game as it seems a little like a cross between chess and snap. I was wrong, it's actually quite good with lots of opportunity for sweeping moves.

The battle was Pete's Persians, beautifully painted, and my Classical Indians, painted. Pete walked me through the rules for the 1st game and I won easily - elephants, heavy chariots and longbowmen are OK. 

2nd game Pete slaughtered me - 1 elephant unit routed by some light infantry lead to a bigger rout and then he ran me over.

Really enjoyed both games and the rules are pretty good and the games are quick. Downside is lots of counters for ammo etc







11 comments:

  1. Great posting, Martin. Loads of lovely loot, and looks like a good couple of games too. I bought some "Pendraken" myself yesterday, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pendraken are great to paint, once you get the style right. Which ones did you buy

      Delete
  2. Good to see you there yesterday Marin, and I am glad you are now hooked on TTS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're gonna hand paint all those lovely Austrian flags?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should keep you busy ..

    TTS does just feel like playing cards to me ... a decent game ,but also don’t like the aesthetics of cards and markers everywhere ... as I don’t have enough interest in ancients to care about army building , lists etc then I guess that limits my enjoyment of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the aesthetics, does look ugly but the game played quite well. Could just as easily use D10s and who uses bloody ammo chits. Nobody ever runs out of ammo

      Delete
  5. Come to my website to view the contents of my website
    BOLA PELANGI - BANDAR MIX PARLAY TERBESAR DI INDONESIA HANYA DENGAN 1 USER ID SUDAH BISA BERMAIN SEMUA GAME. Join US ! klik link di bawah ini ☟
    Prediksi Parlay Jitu
    Mix Parlay
    Bola Jalan
    U build Great Artikel ^_^ i already Share this artikel Bandar Bola
    ☛ <a href="http://148.72.214.11/

    ReplyDelete