Sunday 12 April 2015

First Post on First Ever Blog

Welcome to my first blog

Hasslefree "Snake Plisken"

I recently participated in the V Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge (I'm MartinC in the challenge) and it was a such a joyous experience that I decided to have a go a publishing a blog.
My first real memories of wargaming are going to the model shop as a child to be bought a box of Airfix model soldiers with my Grandparents. I still remember the excitement and awe as I walked through canyons of boxes of soldiers and models. Each box full of adventures and acts of daring do.
At University I got drawn into the world of Warhammer and D and D but never really liked magic and the fact the most of the regiments on the table were there to act as target practice, although I did like the rules mechanics.
The hobby disappeared from my life for many years but in my early 40's I got a bout of clinical depression, which is a terrible name for the affliction and would be much better if it were called "Clinical Can't be Bothered". The choices were become part of the Prozac nation or find something constructive to occupy my brain. I dug out the remaining pile of figures and began to paint with 20 year old Citadel paints. It was fab. My brain got re-engaged and I was amazed at the range and quality of figures that had become available in my absence.
So what do I collect and paint. Like most people with this hobby the problem is what not to collect. I collect what ever looks cool to paint from Troy to WW2 weird war, but all in 28mm (my eyes and painting skills aren't up to anything smaller) I tend to buy armies, they are cheaper and give me a body of work to get my teeth in.
Currently I have a wide range of armies from Troy to ACW, I also have large collections of Old West, Colonial, Samurai, lots of flying carpets and VBCW figures, plus lots of other bits and pieces. As you can see very much a butterfly and currently I'm drawn to Zombies
During the painting challenge I completed the 2 ACW armies but subsequently I have purchased an extra 60 figures from an antique shop for £10 so more painting there, some tasks are never done, especially when you have no will power.
I'll close this opening post with some images of the things I painted during the challenge.

Perry 114th Pennsylvania

Black Tree Miniatures Flying Carpet

Clockwork Goblin Grizzly Walker

Empress Miniatures Rolls Royce Armoured Car

Aventine Miniatures Republican Roman Centurian

Hope you enjoyed this 1st post, let me know what you think.






20 comments:

  1. Delighted to have the first comment on your new blog. Well done on the challenge and looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic first post Martin! I look forward to following this blog's growth - have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blogosphere. I'm going to follow you with my feed reader. If you add the followers widget people can follow you and easily add your blog to their own blog rolls. Great first post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A brilliant first post Martin! Welcome to the blogosphere mate, I hope you get from it as much as I do.

    PS. Can you please add the followers widget so we can subscribe and get updates?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A grand start ... As Millsy says add the followers widget

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all. Will sort out followers doodad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the mad world of blogging Martin!! And well done in the Challenge, loved your Flying Carpets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, they weren't planned but very serendipitous

      Delete
  8. Great looking minis, my favorite is the flying carpet, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic start, with some great figures in the challenge. Congrats on winning the People's Choice too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was very surprised to win considering the competition

      Delete
  10. Welcome to the World of war-game blogging. I've never been diagnosed with depression but painting has always been something that helps me cope with the world. So I think I have some idea of what you mean. Good luck and I want to see those flying carpets in battle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. The depression was just annoying. I did have a black dog but it was very much a toy poodle. Flying carpet rules are proving tricky. Air battle rules are very much on a grand scale and I was thinking more like chariots in the sky, lots of tassle to tassle action

      Delete
  11. ' the problem is what not to collect.' - Simple, profound and a veritable truism. Excellent first post - Welcome to the Blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate. I'm having a blast. Having recently built an Empress Rolls Royce without instructions I sympathize with your tank biulding.

      Delete
  12. Good luck with the blog!

    If this is any use to you in regard the Followers button Millsy and Dave D mentioned, you need to go to

    "Layout" - "Add a Gadget " - "More Gadgets" - "Followers"

    The followers gadget is the 'blogger followers' as opposed the 'Google+ Followers' and can be found at the bottom of the first page. Sorry, if I've overstepped any line.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, all help is appreciated, I'm a massive ludite

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. It was another blogger (Simon Quinton) who explained it through to me when I first began last year.

      Delete
  13. Welcome to the world of blogging Martin - I'm looking forward to your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete