Saturday 21 March 2020

The Austrian Army at the Battle of Lobositz

Dear all I hope you are keeping well and are in good health, I'm on 12 week lockdown (this day 5) due to underlying diabetes and am well. I work at Newcastle University and on Monday evening we began to close down and move online. It was an epic task made harder because we had to do it from home. We did it in 36 hours and proves that if the will is there then the amazing things can be done. So having spent 15 hours a day since typing and having online meetings I'm knackered. The schools are doing it now and I feel their pain, theirs is worse as they have to stay open and look after the children of key workers.
At the same time the Analogue Hobbies painting Challenge X has been drawing to a close and I painted the 2nd most amount of figures (AGAIN). It's been a good challenge and has got me through a tough winter. I'm not going to go through all the figures I painted, if you want you have enough clues to look for yourselves, but I painted the equivalent of 3700 10mm foot figures. I know it's a weird measure to use but I've painted a lot of 10mm this winter.  I did finsih a  Viking army I bought in1986. I've also mined out my lead mountain and only have a very few figures left to paint - some 15mm WW2 germans and some 28m samurai. The rest I've had for years and will have for years more.
I have helped James with his For Joshua project. Gamers from all around the world have contributed their time and treasure to paint and donate 10mm armies to James charity project. Please go and look.
And then there are my Austrians. About 15 onths ago Matt and I saw a game in 10mm at the Battleground show (think it was there). It looked brilliant and Matt started to collect and paint 10mm 7YW figures. Always being a butterfly I joined in and after a false start, I painted Brunswickers and they fought on the opposite front (a cautinary tale on a little knowledge), I decided to paint the whole Austrian Army for the 1st major battle of the war, Lobositz. Well yesterday morning between meetings I finished it

These were the last 2 units and formed part of the reserve. They are the Browne(front) and Alt-Colloredo regiments

This is the whole army, 19 infantry regiments, 14 cavalry regiments, 17 battalion guns, 8 heavy artillery pieces, 4 supply wagons and loads of officers

The left wing. Vanguard to the front (obviously), 1st line cavalry, 2nd line cavalry and the corps reserve of grenzers to the rear

The centre and the artillery

The right wing, 1st line cavalry, 2nd line cav and a reserve detachment stationed away from the main army.

Overall I'm pleased with them and plan to tinker with the Black powder rules. I have 4 regiments of Prussian infantry, 1 cav and loads of heavy artillery to paint and will make a start on these at some point during the lock down.
Speaking of which I've had a 15mm restock and plan to build the armies of the near east around about 80BC to fight my Pontic and Indian armies. They we tide me through the lockdown.
Keep safe one and all and I'll see you all once life starts to get back to normal.


14 comments:

  1. Looking forward to giving these a run out. Now you need the other side right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yip, have a start and Matt has loads but yes it is on the list

      Delete
  2. Great work Martin. Enjoy all your painting time and take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, you to. Walking outside important so you are sorted there

      Delete
  3. Great work M. Have just completed the last infantry regiment I had, will post a picture this afternoon. That is the Prussian and Austrian starter armies completed although I need to do the guns and a couple of officers, lets hope it isn’t too long till we get to play. I will probabaly order some more ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Let's hope not too long. I have 10 large prussian guns to paint which is enough for the prussians and will convert the brunswickers to prussians. That will give me about 10 prussian foot regiments and 3 cav. Will need more

      Delete
  4. That certainly was a crackin last entry Martin. And well done on the whole Challenge, you gave Noel a run for his money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. It was neck and neck for a while and the it wasn't. Bloody sandbaggerd๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

      Delete
  5. 10 mm SYW - the caviar of the hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheers, new had caviar. usually 28mm the full English breakfast of the hobby

      Delete